Irrespective of how determined you are to treat your employees well, there will always be a chance that something will go not as smoothly as you would have hoped.
Problems could include:
- You might have problems with the behaviour or conduct of one of your employees
- Perhaps someone’s performance is well below the level you need.
- A personality clash could arise that needs addressing.
- An employee’s level of sickness might be above what you can reasonably accommodate as a small or medium sized business.
- You may have no option but to make one or more roles redundant.
- A grievance might be raised by one of your staff, if they feel they have not been treated fairly.
Handle matters incorrectly and you could be putting your business at all sorts of risks. And when dealing with formal cases, if you fail to follow ACAS’s Code of Practice, you could find yourself forced to pay up to 25% additional compensation to an employee if taken to Employment Tribunal.
Independent Hearing Manager
If you do have to contend with a Disciplinary, Grievance or any similar formal proceeding, you will need to appoint an independent Hearing Manager to impartially adjudicate on the merits of the case.
This person will need to ensure they conduct proceedings in accordance with ACAS requirements.
WRS is able to provide you with a genuinely Independent and credible Hearing Manager, which will leave you safe in the knowledge that whatever the case is, it will be handled correctly.